Bishop Anderson House Statement on Social Responsibility & Racial Justice
As healers and caregivers we are committed to continue our work dismantling racism and discrimination wherever we find it and to foster and protect the dignity and worth of every human being. Until healthcare providers unite in our efforts and take direct responsibility in dismantling healthcare disparities and our own unconscious biases these injustices will never end.
- Healthcare Equity
- To bring awareness to unconscious bias and the disparities in health coverage, chronic health conditions and mental health across racial and ethnic groups.
- Disavow White Supremacy
- We call on elected officials and political parties to formally disavow white supremacists and nationalist groups. Their rhetoric contributes to racial battle fatigue and Continuous Traumatic Stress Disorder which affects the health and healing of the whole person. We encourage all persons to vote in all elections and be counted in the census.
- Unconscious Bias Training
- We call for continuing education related to unconscious bias to support equal treatment of black and brown people who seek healthcare regardless of their ability to pay. There is continued work needed to ensure persons presenting with the same symptoms, receive equal treatment.
- Establish Community-based Chaplains
- We call on every hospital to staff one community-based chaplain to serve in nearby underserved communities. These chaplains would facilitate relationship and community building through the provision of spiritual, emotional, physical and social support to families, business, corporations, schools and groups in those communities on behalf of and fully funded by the institution.
Adapted unanimously by Board of Trustees, September 8, 2020